As happy as I am about marrying an Italian (ALL. THE. PASTA.) I don’t always want a big bowl of hot carbonara when we’re about to hit a record heat index this weekend.
So what’s a girl to do?!!! In comes the chilled pasta salad, which is basically just an excuse to eat cold pasta disguised as an attempt to deliver some vegetables/protein to your face.
We used leftover grilled chicken and roasted broccoli, so the thing that took the longest was actually cooking the pasta!
You will need:
- Chicken (tofu works too!)
- Orrichetti, rigatoni, penne, elbow, or short pasta of your choice, although I’m sure this would be awesome with a fettuccini noodle. You could use risotto rice or pearled couscous too!
- One can garbanzo beans
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese if you fancy
1) prepare pasta according to directions on the box. You can use gluten-free noodles, chickpea pasta, egg noodles, it’s really up to you
2) while pasta is cooking, cut up leftover chicken (but theoretically you could bake or grill [email protected] now too if you needed to) and rough chop broccoli - again, leftovers. But if you were gonna roast the broccoli right now, you can do that too. This whole meal would take you 30-40 minutes instead of 10-15. Add everything to a mixing bowl
3) drain and rinse can of garbanzo beans, place in bowl with chicken and broccoli
4) drain pasta noodles when they are to your preferred level is doneness, and rinse with cold water- this helps to chill the pasta right away, then place pasta in mixing bowl with rest of ingredients
5) squeeze half a lemon over pasta mix, and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Mix, add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with Parmesan and red pepper flakes if desired
You can make this ahead of time and serve a couple days later, or make right before you want to eat it and save the rest. Super versatile and doesn’t require a ton of time in the kitchen!